skip to navigationskip to main content
Accountants Cowley Holmes Chartered Accountants Excellence award
Business accountants SME tax Accountants in Bedfordshire Best accountants in Bedford


Car Benefit Reduced Where Unavailable

June 10, 2021

P11d forms reporting benefits in kind provided to employees and directors need to be submitted to HMRC by 6 July. Where a company car is “unavailable” for private use for 30 or more consecutive days the benefit is proportionately reduced. During the various lockdown periods many employees and directors have not been using their company…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:


June 4, 2021

There is a little-known deadline approaching in relation to the VAT deferral scheme. Any business that took advantage of the scheme in 2020 that has not repaid the deferred amount will need to indicate to HMRC how they are planning to make repayment or risk receiving a penalty of 5% of the outstanding amount on…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Latest CJRS “Furlough” Grants

May 20, 2021

The fourth version of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) “furlough” grant scheme commenced on 1 May 2021 and will run until 30 September with employees affected continuing to be supported such that they are entitled to be paid at least 80% of their “usual pay” subject to a limit of £2,500 a month for…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

60 years old but 24 karat gold! (Click here)

May 14, 2021

The month of May brought along a big birthday bang for Barry! Barry celebrated his 60th last week and we’re pleased to say he’s enjoyed his celebrations. Best wishes from the Team.

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Making Tax Digital Extended to More Businesses

Currently only VAT registered businesses making taxable supplies in excess of the £85,000 VAT registration threshold are mandated to comply with Making Tax Digital (MTD) rules. Those rules require the business to keep digital business records and send VAT returns using MTD-compatible software. MTD for VAT is now being rolled out to all VAT registered…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Additional Restrictions Grants

April 30, 2021

Home based and mobile businesses affected by the Covid-19 pandemic are being encouraged to apply for an initial £500 grant. Eligible businesses can now apply for the grant online via Bedford Borough Council’s website at Grants will be awarded to local businesses and home based and mobile businesses that have fixed business costs and…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

New enhanced loss relief rules may result in extra tax refunds

April 16, 2021

In the March Budget it was announced that the normal one year carry back for trading losses would be extended to three years. This means that many businesses that have made losses during the COVID-19 pandemic may be able to obtain a repayment of tax paid in that three-year period. This enhanced carry back applies…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Buy New Equipment before 6 April?

March 11, 2021

Your business year end, not 5 April, is relevant for capital allowances purposes. If however you are running a business and making up accounts to 31 March or 5 April you should consider buying plant and machinery to take advantage of the £1 million Annual Investment Allowance (AIA). The AIA provides a 100% tax write…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Don’t lose your 2020/21 Personal Allowance

March 5, 2021

For every £2 that your adjusted net income exceeds £100,000 the £12,500 personal allowance is reduced by £1. Pension contributions and Gift Aid can help to reduce adjusted net income and save tax at an effective rate of 60%. The restriction applies between £100,000 and £125,000 adjusted net income. Another way that you could avoid…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Get Ready For New Off-Payroll Working Rules (IR35)

February 18, 2021

This time last year businesses were preparing for important changes to the rules where workers supply their services via their own personal service companies. The start date was then deferred from 6 April 2020 to 6 April 2021. The new rules are scheduled to apply to large and medium-sized businesses as defined by the Companies…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Passing on the Family Home

February 15, 2021

One recent change that should be taken into consideration when drafting your Will is the additional Inheritance Tax (IHT) nil rate band for passing on the family home to direct descendants on death. We can work with your solicitor to make sure your Will is tax efficient. Now that the additional relief is fully phased…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

£1 Million Annual Investment Allowances Extended

February 12, 2021

The Chancellor recently announced that the temporary increase in the Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) for expenditure on plant and machinery has been extended to 31 December 2021. The tax relief was originally scheduled to revert to just £200,000 from 1 January 2021, but that will now be delayed by twelve months. Remember that there is…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

New Year Resolutions to Save Tax

February 8, 2021

At this time of year we think about New Year’s resolutions. It is also a good time to start planning your tax affairs before the end of the tax year on 5th April. An obvious tax planning point would be to maximise your ISA allowances for the 2020/21 tax year (currently £20,000 each). You might…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Reverse charge VAT for building services imminent

January 21, 2021

The new rules for certain building services will finally take effect from 1 March 2021. Where the rules apply, a trader will not charge VAT on their invoice. Instead, their customer will account for the VAT by making a “reverse charge” entry on their VAT return. In practical terms, this means that the customer will…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Self Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS) third grant deadline

January 14, 2021

The third SEISS grant is open for claims until midnight on Friday 29 January. Eligible people must claim on or before this date. The easiest way to claim is via Eligibility for the third SEISS grant is limited to people whose business has faced reduced demand, or has been temporarily unable to trade due…Read More

Social Sharing and Bookmarks:

Click here to see how easy it is to switch to Cowley Holmes

FREE Consultation

Worth £200 for Free Call us on
01234 355300 or click on the button below

Click Here

Fixed Fee Quote

Call us on
01234 355300 or click on the button below

Click Here

Sign up to our Tax &
Business Tips Newsletter

Ask an
Accountant a Question

Click Here

Become a Client

To find out 8 great reasons why you should get a quote.

Click Here

Claim your FREE Essential Guide to Understanding your accounts